Well it seems that winter is definitely upon us. It’s the season of extra hot showers, warm cosy blankets and my personal favourite, hot chocolates. Yet, the constant onslaught of rain and humidity also creates the perfect season for moisture to invade our homes, turning our places of comfort into the perfect breeding ground for condensation and mould.
Especially in some otherwise beautiful older apartments, this moisture can become a real problem. We have all been there, walked into a room with a musty smell or noticed some unwelcome moisture on window sills, walls and ceilings “especially in the bathroom” or as a nasty surprise at the back of a seldom-used cupboard where we might have stored treasured possessions.
As if it’s not bad enough that this condensation can damage fabrics, discolour paint and wallpaper, stain floorboards and damage irreplaceable and cherished possessions; it still gets worse, because now your house is the perfect breeding ground for mould spores to flourish and take claim.
What is mould?
‘Mould’ is what we call the microbial fungus that grows filaments (called hyphae) that forms that transparent web of fine threads. It often only becomes noticeable when it fruits, recognised by many of us as that nasty black powdery substance that stains walls and fabrics, and gives our homes that choking musty smell that doesn’t go away just by opening a window. And while mould is present in unnoticeable quantities in every home, it’s when spores are present in sufficient concentrations that it can cause health concerns like allergic reactions or respiratory ailments. And some particularly nasty moulds produce mycotoxins that some studies claim might even be responsible for neurological problems. It might even be responsible for some deaths.
While the spores in one person’s home might not seem to affect them personally, prolonged exposure could increase risk of harm: infants, young children, the elderly, and pets can be the most at risk.
How to prevent mould
Mould can be an unsightly and potentially hazardous problem for any home. It is not only hard to get rid of, but also hard to prevent from recurring. So how do you protect your home, family, and belongings from a runaway case of mould? You don’t need to move houses, or have the expensive heater (or even worse, the air conditioner) running non-stop.
The answer is really quite simple: mould needs moisture to grow and thrive. One way to help control mould in the home is by using a dehumidifier. Dehumidifiers help keep the humidity levels low, which helps to reduce the chances of mould growth.
Dehumidifiers work by collecting moisture from the air and storing it in a collection tank or tray. This collected moisture is then slowly released back into the environment, thereby reducing humidity levels within your living space.
With lower humidity levels, mould is less likely to form on walls or other surfaces since it prefers warm and damp conditions for growth. Furthermore, regular use of a dehumidifier can help prevent existing mould from spreading as quickly as it normally would when there are high levels of moisture in the air.
Learn more about how to get rid of mould. After all, ridding your home of unwelcome moisture and mould is a breath of fresh air.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is for general reference only. Please seek advice from professionals according to your needs.